Friday, January 25, 2013

So what am I up to these days?  Who knows.  Keeping work consistent is difficult.  In December, I went around to a lot of the rural communities to meet with the principals of the schools, as well as the parents.  I told them how I wanted to work with the kids during the school day; working on a program we coined “Escuelas Saludables” or “Healthy Schools”.  We will be discussing the topics of hygiene, nutrition, recycling, self-esteem, and sex-ed in a few of the schools.  Then in the afternoon, I will work with the parents regarding some recycling crafts, cooking healthy recipes, exercise, etc.  I have 8 schools and visit each of them once a month.  Getting transportation out to these communities is tough.  Most often, if there is a bus going to the community, there is only one and it leaves the community in the morning to take the kids to the high schools and comes back to the town in the afternoon to bring the kids back.  Therefore, it is really tough to visit the schools more than once a month because we have to pay to get a driver to take us out there.  This past month, I started visiting the schools to actually implement the program.  It went well.  The kids were a lot of fun and the moms enjoyed learning how to make beads out of recycled magazine paper.  Some of the kids took really well to learning about nutrition.  In other classes, it was very difficult to maintain order because the kids walked all over me.  I feel terrible looking back at how I behaved with some of my teachers in school, particularly when we had substitutes.  When we wanted all hell to break loose, all hell broke loose.  This is basically what happened with some of the classes I worked with this past month.  When the teacher came in, they were all good and shaped up, got quiet.  The minute they walked out, it was like animals being let free from a zoo.  I’m hoping eventually I can learn some tricks to get the kids to calm down with me.  If you have ANY tips, I am alllll ears!  Unfortunately, for this reason, I often wasn’t able to take pictures.  I was too busy attempting to maintain some semblance of order.  I was able to capture some pictures in the school that only has about 15 students.  They were a little bit easier to manage.  Those pictures are included below.

Currently, there are two situations that kind of stink.  First, the schools start their three month vacation in February, so right when I start having an actual schedule, I go back to having no schedule for three months.  I will still be visiting the communities to work with the moms; I just won’t work with the kids until they come back in May.  Now the other situation.  There is a possibility that all of the schools that have less than a certain number of kids are going to be closed.  The government is thinking that it might be more worthwhile to spend the money on bussing the kids that attend these small schools into the main towns to attend the bigger schools, sort of like how it is for high schools.  To be honest, I am not entirely sure how I feel about this.  Some of the kids would probably get better off because they would get better education.  However, a lot of the schools function just fine as they are, while fostering a sense of community.  As well, a major issue here is the drop in attendance of high school.  At least here in Pedro Vicente, it is difficult for the children in the rural communities to get to the high schools in the main part of the town.  As a result, they don’t go and will work instead.  There is always a fear that a similar situation with the lower/middle school would cause a drop in attendance as well.
            My counterpart told me that this could all happen over the summer, but I just can’t imagine it happening that quickly.  Obviously it’d be a bit of a bummer because I’d have to reconstitute my plan for work, but again, obviously, that is not what matters the most.  I guess we will see what happens in the coming months.
            Anyway, I am hoping this past month was a good sort of pilot run and that when the kids get back into school, I will really be able to get going with the program.  Hopefully it is something that can be kept up.  During the summer, like I said before, I will go to the communities to work with the parents as well, I figure I will also help out with the basketball classes that are happening here in town.  They basketball coach is going to offer more classes during vacation, so I figure it is an opportunity for me to start helping out again.
            Speaking of basketball, I’m on a basketball team.  I actually think it is I was on a basketball team.  It was a league where we played about 8 games.  We lost all the games except for two.  One game we won outright, the other game we won because of a forfeit (the team didn’t show).  When the team didn’t show, we played against a team of women that were just around in the stadium.  That “team” beat us.  Yeah, we weren’t so good.  Actually I didn’t think we were so bad, but I guess we were.  It had a good time anyway.  Well except for the ref, who’s lack of knowledge of the rules often made me quite angry (I think most of you know how I feel about referees who don’t know the rules).  The playoffs start Monday; I think my team will be in the bleachers watching.
            That’s all for now for this post.  There are a few more posts after this one so click on older posts to see more.





Food Pyramid


Drawing a meal







Personally think this frog can camouflage, but the kids told me they are born this way



















4 comments:

  1. Peace Corps Books BY LAWRENCE F. LIHOSIT
    (AKA Lorenzo, Honduras, 1975-1977)
    Available on Amazon.com

    Peace Corps Experience: Write & Publish Your Memoir

    The ultimate “How-To” book for former volunteers & staff who have hesitated to tell their story. The author describes what a memoir is and offers tips on how to write, publish & promote.

    “Tell your Peace Corps story, but first study this book.”
    Robert Klein, PC Oral History Project, Kennedy Library


    Years On and Other Travel Essays

    The author describes how he hitchhiked along bleak Arizona highways, hacked a path through wooded Honduran mountains, avoided caiman while riding bulls in Bolivia and grizzlies as he hunted caribou in bush Alaska, ran for his life after getting involved in Mexican politics and more.

    2011 Peace Corps Writers’ Travel Book Award Recipient

    “The best and rarest of ex-pats: the Yankee gone native.”
    Tony D’Souza, author of Whiteman.

    Peace Corps Chronology; 1961-2010

    Includes all notable activities related to the Peace Corps in an easy-to-read style, in chronological order and lists all volunteers who died during and immediately following service.

    2010 Peace Corps Writers’ Special Publisher Award Nominee

    “This is a very impressive book.”
    John Coyne, Editor of Peace Corps Worldwide.


    South of the Frontera; A Peace Corps Memoir

    Following a job loss, a worn picture postcard ignites adventures leading to the Peace Corps Honduras. This is a vivid and humorous description of Mexico and Central America between 1975 and 1977.

    2011 Recipient of Commendation from U.S. Congressman John Garmamendi (CA, Dem)

    “A classic.”
    Craig Carrozzi, author of The Road to El Dorado.


    Whispering Campaign; Stories from Mesoamerica

    A collection of short stories with telling details- a taxi driver unscrews his license plate bulb before driving, a young American bewitched by a female shaman waving a necklace of dried herbs, the son of a salesman who dispels the curse of guilt, freeing the ghost of remorse and much more.

    2009 Peace Corps Writers’ Maria Thomas Fiction Award Nominee

    “As in Chinatown or Ballad of a Thin Man, they go directly to the gut. The mix is a rich one.”
    Allen W. Fletcher, author of Heat, Sand & Friends.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Starting April 20 we are going to be in Bolivar province or a medical mission. A couple of years ago a couple of PC volunteers walked in on us and asked to help. They joined us again when we came back 6 months later. Would you be anywhere near us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! I am an RPCV from Jordan 08-10, I'm going to Ecuador in about a month and was hoping to talk to a current PCV there about some questions I have. If you have the time I'd love to be able to ask you a few questions!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo! RPCV! Check out Travels in South America by Lawrence F. Lihosit. You'll love it.

    ReplyDelete