Friday, January 25, 2013

CUIDADO

Did you know caterpillars can sting you?  If you say yes, well then you are more prepared to live in Ecuador than I was.  I was unaware that I needed to be afraid of these deceptively amiable-looking furry creatures.  During my childhood, if I came across a particularly cool looking caterpillar, I picked it up, pet it, shared my discovery with others, etc.  I actually fairly vividly remember being about 6 years old when I decided to take a caterpillar home with me.  I was carrying this tiny critter on my large white pillow in the car (who knows why I had my pillow, probably for the same reason I always have have Mr. Sausage in tow).  The effer pooped on my pillow.  That was my first unwholesome encounter with caterpillars.  While this did not curb my desire to pick up an especially furry caterpillar, never again will I be so careless.  My most recent brush (pun intended) with what I believe was a caterpillar has deterred me from all future reckless interactions.  I will forever by afraid of these ferocious creatures.

On Friday, I slept at my counterpart's farm house.  Erly, his mother, and I made a camp fire, cooked some food, searched for the cows and bulls, and took the horses from one spot to another (I don't know why), and slept outside on the porch.  It was really tranquil and pleasant.  It is amazing how something little like that can have such a big impact.  Anyway.  As we were walking through the jungle part of the finca, searching for the 15 missing cows, my hand brushed up again a particularly painful leaf.  At the time, I figured it was just ortiga.  I started thinking it was something different when that night my finger swelled up and still had a rash.  This happened Saturday morning. I wasn't able to make a fist until 4 days later.  Honestly, not that big of a deal, but I figured I'd warn as many unsuspecting potential victims as possible (particularly my fellow omni 108-ers).  Beware.

I have included some pictures of stinging caterpillars.  They look quite funky and appealing.  You think you've made a cool find, so you want to coger the bugger and show it to your friends.  DON'T DO IT.




A few other random observations
-Christmas trees go up really early here.   In my host families house, the tree went up in early October.  It is now still currently up.
-I thought I was better having conversations in spanish over the phone than I really am.
-The Mariscal is scary, trust no one.
-Stereotype: south american food is spicy, not in Ecuador

No comments:

Post a Comment